- What does the idea/concept of a manifesto mean to you?
- Is there a specific manifesto that you align to or that has interested/influenced you?
- Do you have a personal manifesto?
- Do you think that manifestos still have relevance to society at large or groups of people in the 21st century?
1. Right now, not much. I had to google it and wikipedia told me what you probably know already: A manifesto is a public declaration of principles and intentions, often political in nature, but may also be life stance related. However, manifestos relating to religious belief are rather referred to as credo.
It seems that manifestos are about beliefs as much as they are about rules, I confess that I have a weakness for rules so in that way the idea of a ‘manifesto’ is very appealing.
2. Thinking about it now, many. The first that comes to mind is the Dogma95 manifesto, which I think about often, and which, manages to encompass some of the political manifestos that have also inspired me.
3. In as far as it is a ‘public declaration’ the idea of a personal manifesto seems to lack a certain performative-ness central to the concept, and unlike who I am right now. I have certain beliefs and codes that I live by and subscribe to, but no manifesto.
4. Without a doubt for many reasons.